Volume 1 Issue 8 - December 15, 2003
Disabled persons need jobs, not allowances
DNIS News Network -- Haryana's Chief Minister Om Prakash Chautala announced a Rs 50 increase in the monthly allowances of unemployed, educated disabled persons in the state, on World Disability Day.
Mr Chautala was honouring the philanthropists who had donated money for the construction of 'Shravan', a rehabilitation centre for mentally challenged persons aged 18 years and above. While honouring the donors, the Chief minister was caught unawares by a group of visually impaired young men who waved black shawls and shouted slogans against the minister and his government.
Though annoyed, Mr Chautala waited for the uproar to simmer down and then suggested that the demonstrators should approach the government to air their grievances. In his defense, the Chief Minister stated that the government had kept aside Rs 22.31 crore for the welfare of the disability sector this year, as compared to Rs 19.82 crore last year.
However, the demonstrators, belonging to Netarheen Jagrit Sangh, explained that they were protesting the government's callousness in providing employment. Most of them were graduates and postgraduates, yet they hadn't been provided with jobs for several years. The government, they declared, was not keeping its promises to the disability sector.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Government violates its own Act
- Disabled persons need jobs, not allowances
- Visually challenged in Orissa: Tired of assurances, craving for action
- Helen Keller awards honour hard work done in the disability sector
- Disabled physiotherapists excel in their field
- Special Olympics Bharat gives disabled children a 'sporty' life
- Finally! A place fully accessible to disabled people
- Authorities in need of sensitisation
- India soon to eradicate polio
- Disabled professors find no place in DU
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: