Volume 2 Issue 8 - April 15, 2004
President meets disability campaigners
DNIS News Network -- Rashtrapati Bhavan was the setting for a meeting between President A.P.J. Kalam and leaders of the Disabled Rights Group on April 8.
The disability activists are campaigning for polling booths to be made fully accessible to all voters. They wanted a meeting with the President to ask for his intervention in their dealings with the Election Commission.
In a meeting that lasted 45 minutes, the activists, led by DRG Convener Javed Abidi, explained the problems faced by disabled people when attempting to exercise their democratic right to vote. They outlined five steps needed to ensure a fair, accessible and secret ballot for all voters, demanding better transport, ramps and Braille signage, along with sensitivity towards people with invisible disabilities such as hearing and speech impairments. (See feature 'Five easy steps to make general elections 2004 disabled-friendly', DNIS, April 01, 2004.)
The group came away satisfied that the President was sympathetic to their cause. He assured the delegates that he would take up their concerns with the Election Commission and called for the development of new technology to help disabled people cast their votes.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Poor access to polling stations is a bar to democracy
- Protestors demand their democratic rights
- Independent candidate slams big two parties for ignoring significant minority
- Accessibility is not an expensive issue
- CEC agrees to meet DRG representatives
- DRG puts demands to Krishnamurthy
- High Court orders report on disability bar
- President meets disability campaigners
- EC issues response to DRG's election demands
- Javed Abidi to fast unto death over EC's "apathetic attitude"
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: