Volume 3 Issue 8 - April 15, 2005
Delhi takes strong steps to implement Persons with Disabilities Act
DNIS News Network - After nine years of launching the Act, the Delhi Government is taking stringent decisions to ensure that disabled people get what is due to them.
The Delhi Government has decided to establish a separate Commissionerate for disabilities in accordance with Section 60 of the People with Disabilities Act. The State Coordination Committee also decided to set up medical boards in nine district hospitals to issue medical certificates to disabled persons, especially mentally disabled people, to help them benefit from bus and train travel concessions. The committee also decided to prepare a scheme for giving out doles or unemployment allowance to unemployed disabled people who have been registered at the special employment exchange for two years. This scheme is to be implemented this financial year.
Another laudable development is the decision to fill up all posts reserved for persons with disability in various departments of the Delhi Government. As per the provisions of the Act, 3% of posts should be reserved for persons with disabilities.
The Committee also asked the Urban Development Department to take steps to make Delhi barrier-free and accessible. The N.D.M.C. and the M.C.D. have been asked to provide separate parking for disabled people.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- Government of India starts fresh recruitments for Chairperson of National Trust
- India makes it to Regional Council of D.P.I-Asia Pacific
- National Legal Literacy Mission launched
- Delhi takes strong steps to implement Persons with Disabilities Act
- Protest march demands inclusion of mentally disabled children
- Rajiv Gandhi Scholarships announced
- New economic reforms passed for disabled people
- N.C.P.E.D.P. petitions for unlimited attempts for disabled candidates
- N.H.R.C. to ensure upkeep of mentally ill undertrials
- No progress made in physically disabled I.I.T. scientist case
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: