Volume 3 Issue 8 - April 15, 2005
Protest march demands inclusion of mentally disabled children
DNIS News Network - A group of determined individuals held a protest march agitating against systems of exclusion of mentally disabled people, in society.
On 7 April, Society for Child Development (S.C.D.), along with several mentally disabled children, parents of disabled children and social activists, held a protest march in New Delhi. Led by S.C.D. Secretary Dr. Madhumita Puri, the protesters expressed their discontent about the exclusion mentally disabled children and adults have to face in society.
The issues brought up were non-inclusion of such children in regular schools, unmonitored and inadequate learning facilities in special schools, lack of Delhi Transport Corporation (or D.T.C.) concessions and the lack of air travel concessions. Apart from these, one of the major causes of protest was that the Delhi State Ministry of Health has not yet constituted a Medical Board for the issue of the Disability Certificate.
The march started from Rajghat and went on for a few hundred metres. Following that, a delegation, with a charter of demands, proceeded to meet the Chief Minister of Delhi, the State Minister of Health and the State Minister for Social Welfare. On the anvil is a meeting, tentatively scheduled for later this month, to review changes which have been made upon submission of the charter.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Government of India starts fresh recruitments for Chairperson of National Trust
- India makes it to Regional Council of D.P.I-Asia Pacific
- National Legal Literacy Mission launched
- Delhi takes strong steps to implement Persons with Disabilities Act
- Protest march demands inclusion of mentally disabled children
- Rajiv Gandhi Scholarships announced
- New economic reforms passed for disabled people
- N.C.P.E.D.P. petitions for unlimited attempts for disabled candidates
- N.H.R.C. to ensure upkeep of mentally ill undertrials
- No progress made in physically disabled I.I.T. scientist case
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: