Volume 3 Issue 8 - April 15, 2005
N.C.P.E.D.P. petitions for unlimited attempts for disabled candidates
DNIS News Network - After tasting success in the issue of raising reservations in the Civil Services, disabled people are now trying to increase the number of attempts allowed for candidates to appear for examinations.
Recently, a long-standing issue -- that of discrimination against disabled people in the Civil Services Examinations -- has been partially resolved. With repeated pressure, the Government has extended reservations for disabled people in the civil services. This, however, is not of much use since they are limited by the number of attempts prescribed for them.
General candidates who appear for the Civil Services Examination are allowed four attempts at the examination till they attain 30 years of age. O.B.C. candidates are allowed a maximum of seven attempts up to a maximum of 33 years of age; S.C./S.T. candidates are allowed unlimited attempts up to 35 years of age. Disabled candidates have been allowed age relaxation up to 10 years, but are allowed only four attempts. Therefore, while candidates in the disabled category have been given the benefit of relaxation of the upper age limit, they remain constrained by the limited number of attempts. Hence, a vast majority of disabled people cannot avail of the extended reservations.
National Centre for Promotion of Employment of Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) has sent a petition to the Home Minister Shivraj Patil, asking him to intervene in the matter and increase the number of attempts allowed for a disabled candidate and, if possible, allow disabled people unlimited attempts like in the case of S.C./S.T. candidates.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Government of India starts fresh recruitments for Chairperson of National Trust
- India makes it to Regional Council of D.P.I-Asia Pacific
- National Legal Literacy Mission launched
- Delhi takes strong steps to implement Persons with Disabilities Act
- Protest march demands inclusion of mentally disabled children
- Rajiv Gandhi Scholarships announced
- New economic reforms passed for disabled people
- N.C.P.E.D.P. petitions for unlimited attempts for disabled candidates
- N.H.R.C. to ensure upkeep of mentally ill undertrials
- No progress made in physically disabled I.I.T. scientist case
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: