Volume 3 Issue 8 - April 15, 2005
N.H.R.C. to ensure upkeep of mentally ill undertrials
DNIS News Network - The N.H.R.C. has framed guidelines to ensure the upkeep of mentally ill undertrials during their prison term.
The High Court has directed the Judicial Academy in Delhi to organise short-term courses to sensitise judicial officers to deal with cases involving accused who are mentally ill. In addition, the National Human Rights Commission (N.H.R.C.) has said that proper psychological or psychiatric counselling should be provided to these prisoners.
The N.H.R.C. has also advised that central and district jails should have facilities for preliminary treatment of learning disorders. "If an undertrial or a convict undergoing sentence becomes mentally ill while in prison, the State must provide medical support and pay for the medical care in a private hospital," an N.H.R.C. statement said.
Other suggestions -- like open lawns in jails for physical and mental exercises and discouragement of force against prisoners except in self-defence or in cases of attempted suicide -- were also made by the N.H.R.C. It also suggested that all mentally ill undertrials should be kept in one barrack in order to avoid ridicule and harassment by fellow-inmates.
These guidelines were submitted to the court of Justice D.K. Jain and Justice A.K. Sikri during the hearing of a petition, wherein the High Court released a mentally ill undertrial who had been languishing in jail for 20 years, for murder.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Government of India starts fresh recruitments for Chairperson of National Trust
- India makes it to Regional Council of D.P.I-Asia Pacific
- National Legal Literacy Mission launched
- Delhi takes strong steps to implement Persons with Disabilities Act
- Protest march demands inclusion of mentally disabled children
- Rajiv Gandhi Scholarships announced
- New economic reforms passed for disabled people
- N.C.P.E.D.P. petitions for unlimited attempts for disabled candidates
- N.H.R.C. to ensure upkeep of mentally ill undertrials
- No progress made in physically disabled I.I.T. scientist case
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: