Volume 3 Issue 8 - April 15, 2005
No progress made in physically disabled I.I.T. scientist case
DNIS News Network - Several days after Dr S.K. Jain's case was broadcast by media, I.I.T. has not been able to reasonably account for its actions and neither has it been able to retrace and correct any of them.
A follow-up on Dr S K Jain's case has some dismal revelations. The disabled professor from the Indian Institute of Technology (I.I.T.), Delhi, who was barred from using his office and was harassed by officials -- just because he asked to make his laboratory accessible to disabled people -- finds himself and his future in a state of limbo, with absolutely no development being made on the issue. Javed Abidi, Executive Director, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.), had drawn the attention of the media to issue of injustice and forced I.I.T. into a position of accountability.
In response to the newspaper articles on the issue, I.I.T.-Delhi described the details of the incident as misleading and incorrect. Institute Director Prof. R.S. Sirohi denied media reports citing a certain remark by a professor, Prof. M.G.K. Menon, who had allegedly said, "I.I.T. is a premier institute of excellence and not a home for the disabled."
Apart from this response, I.I.T. has not made any move to sort the case. It has not restored Dr. Jain's office and has not made any provisions to make his office accessible. IT has also not made any arrangements to reissue his salary, which has been pending for four years.
Human Resource Development Minister Arjun Singh assured the Rajya Sabha that he was aware of the case and would ensure that justice be done. N.C.P.E.D.P. has asked President Kalam to intervene in the case and help restore Dr. Jain's office and respect.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- Concept Note (76 KB)
- Nomination Form - Corporates / Organisations (78 KB)
- Nomination Form – Individual (80 KB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (11.4 MB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awards 2012
New Disability Law
- Government of India starts fresh recruitments for Chairperson of National Trust
- India makes it to Regional Council of D.P.I-Asia Pacific
- National Legal Literacy Mission launched
- Delhi takes strong steps to implement Persons with Disabilities Act
- Protest march demands inclusion of mentally disabled children
- Rajiv Gandhi Scholarships announced
- New economic reforms passed for disabled people
- N.C.P.E.D.P. petitions for unlimited attempts for disabled candidates
- N.H.R.C. to ensure upkeep of mentally ill undertrials
- No progress made in physically disabled I.I.T. scientist case
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: