Volume 4 Issue 8 - April 15, 2006
Assembly polls see debut of Braille-enabled E.V.M.s in Assam, but very few ramps
D.N.I.S. News Network- The recent polling for the Assam Assembly was a mixed affair for disabled people from the view point of access. Though very few ramps were seen at polling stations, use of Braille-enabled Electronic Voting Machines at Barhampur constituency allowed as many as 32 visually impaired voters to independently exercise their franchise.
According to Arman Ali, Project Coordinator of Disability Law Unit based in Guwahati, the first phase of voting on 2 April was largely inaccessible with very few polling booths being proved with ramps and the Election Commission failing to make any arrangement for visually impaired voters.
An indicative case of how frustrating the inability to vote can be was captured by a news channel that showcased a young wheelchair user who could not cast her vote due to an inaccessible terrain and absence of ramps at the polling booth.
Both before and during the polling phase, an intense pressure was built upon the authorities and the Election Commission to make sure that access provision for polling is ensured in conformity with the Supreme Court order. The advocacy efforts and media scrutiny seem to have had a positive impact with the Election Commission announcing a pilot project of using E.V.M.s in one constituency.
State Chief Electoral Officer J.P. Prakash told media that 32 visually impaired people exercised their franchise without the assistance of a companion. This is indeed a welcome development and can be seen as a positive pointer towards the polling in three other states.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Inclusive Education to receive unprecedented focus through S.S.A.; Sub-Mission announced
- Assembly polls see debut of Braille-enabled E.V.M.s in Assam, but very few ramps
- N.C.P.E.D.P partners with C.I.I. for Conference on Disability
- Disabled girl’s dream of joining I.A.S. nipped in the bud
- Goa becomes the first to announce State Disability Policy
- Social Justice March by disabled political activists reaches Delhi
- Disabled women in Orissa step out to press for their demands on World Women’s Day
- M.S.J.E. clears over one billion rupee to D.T.C. to make public transport disabled-friendly
- Jawaharlal Nehru University gearing for disabled-friendly initiatives
- Exhibition involving mentally disabled youth, India’s best painters breaks the charity mould
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: