Volume 4 Issue 8 - April 15, 2006
Social Justice March by disabled political activists reaches Delhi
D.N.I.S. News Network- Traversing a distance of 600-km in the harsh north Indian summer, a tired but determined group of disabled political activists reached the National Capital at the culmination of the Social Justice March to highlight the demands of Rashtriya Viklang Party (National Disabled Party).
The Party, which claims a membership of 83,000 people and physical presence in eight states, plans a massive show of strength on 16 March when its members and sympathizers converge at Jantar Mantar to take out a rally in support of a 25-point memorandum.
The rally, which was kicked-off from Lucknow on 18 February and reached here on 10 April, has covered some of the most underdeveloped areas of the country. In this process they have managed to make, perhaps, the very first political contact with disabled people living in these areas.
Though enthused over their achievement, the participants of this march have been pained by the complete lack of attention or concern that has been shown by the Government.
“We have written dozens of letters to Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav, ever since the yatra took-off. We also wrote on more than one occasion to President Abdul Kalam. All this has gone unacknowledged,” lamented K. K. Dikshit, President of the Party.
“It is very saddening, but our spirits are high and we will continue the movement of awakening the political consciousness of disabled people of this country,” he added.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Inclusive Education to receive unprecedented focus through S.S.A.; Sub-Mission announced
- Assembly polls see debut of Braille-enabled E.V.M.s in Assam, but very few ramps
- N.C.P.E.D.P partners with C.I.I. for Conference on Disability
- Disabled girl’s dream of joining I.A.S. nipped in the bud
- Goa becomes the first to announce State Disability Policy
- Social Justice March by disabled political activists reaches Delhi
- Disabled women in Orissa step out to press for their demands on World Women’s Day
- M.S.J.E. clears over one billion rupee to D.T.C. to make public transport disabled-friendly
- Jawaharlal Nehru University gearing for disabled-friendly initiatives
- Exhibition involving mentally disabled youth, India’s best painters breaks the charity mould
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: