Volume 6 Issue 8 - October 01, 2009
International Day of the Deaf celebrated
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The National Association of the Deaf (N.A.D.) celebrated the International Day of the Deaf on September 27, the last Sunday of September, with a number of Deaf Awareness Marches across the country. This was the first time in history that such an activity was conducted in 10 cities simultaneously. The cities include Delhi, Chandigarh, Lucknow, Jaipur, Bhopal, Hyderabad, Patna, Chennai, Shimla and Dehradun. Around 6 thousand people across the country took part in the marches.
N.A.D. also organized ‘Nukkad Natak’ in various cities and volunteers distributed flyers outlining the demands of the deaf community. Earlier, press conferences were held in Delhi and Hyderabad on September 24 and 25 where they expressed their disappointment over the non - implementation of the promises outlined in the XIth Five Year Plan. The Plan promises a Sign Language institute, intervention in education and access to information among other things.
A.S. Narayanan, Secretary, N.A.D. said, “We need to create a space for the deaf community and create awareness about it. This will generate goodwill and hopefully more and more people will be seized of the problems and challenges we face. Then and only then can the deaf garner support for their cause and be able to take their rightful place of ‘equality’ in every sense of the word.”
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- India ratifies U.N.C.R.P.D. and then forgets!
- Finally, R.T.E. Act to be amended to include all disabilities
- Hush hush appointment of Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities
- International Day of the Deaf celebrated
- Amendment or New Law? National Consultation to take the debate further
- ‘Right to Read’ : Visually impaired people demand a change in the Copyright Act
- Draft Amendments to the National Trust Act released
- Pay up, Supreme Court tells banks!
- Right to drive for hearing impaired people - Delhi High court to decide soon
- Delhi High Court directs Delhi government to appoint special educators
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: