Volume 4 Issue 9 - May 01, 2006
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy offers hope to cerebral palsy affected people
D.N.I.S. News Network - In a promising development for people affected by Cerebral Palsy, a therapy involving inhalation of pure oxygen by a person affected by the developmental disorder has shown the impact of increasing brain function and hence improving chances of rehabilitation.
developmental disability, which affects over 0.1 per cent of
technique is called Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (H.B.O.T.). It has been developed
by experts from
According to a popular view, cerebral palsy it caused due to an oxygen deficiency for the child while in the mother's womb, during birth, or within five years of birth. A combination of physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and special education can help a child affected by cerebral palsy to show considerable recovery. However, when the same procedure is combined with H.B.O.T., the neurodevelopment growth rate is doubled by the eighth month of therapy.
H.B.O.T. has been available with the armed forces for decades due to the adverse environment they face everyday. However, due to the risks of breathing absolutely pure oxygen, the treatment has been recommended after a lot of research, says a newspaper report. According to experts, up to 40 sittings are sufficient to show significant improvement.
treatment is not given to patients individually. Instead, three to eight patients
are collectively kept in oxygen-rich chambers. In
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Rajasthan Government provides 3 % reservation for disabled people in R.J.S.
- Bihar Government to appoint State Commissioner for Disability
- N.C.E.R.T.’s Action Plan for ‘School for All’
- South D.L.U. files petition against Culture and Religious Endowments Department, T.N.
- Chennai High Court gives nod to Low Floor Buses
- ‘We don't have the money to provide you with all your rights': Chief Electoral Officer of Tamil Nadu
- National Capital Region gets round-the-clock disability helpline
- Hemophiliacs demand adequate funds and medical facility
- Experiences of the Disability Movement shared in the Arab world
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy offers hope to cerebral palsy affected people
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: