Volume 7 Issue 9 - May 01, 2010
National Policy on Electronic Accessibility put up in the public domain
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: All Ministries should take a leaf out of the Ministry of Information Technology (I.T.) in proactiveness. Barely a few months after National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) submitted the draft National Policy on Electronic Accessibility, prepared in collaboration with BarrierBreak Technologies, the final draft is not only ready, it has been put up on the Ministry’s website for comments.
It may be mentioned that the I.T. Ministry took a keen interest in the issue and in no time a Drafting Committee was formed of all stakeholders consisting of disabled people, private sector representatives and Government officials, to refine the draft as submitted by N.C.P.E.D.P. Joint Secretary, Ministry of I.T., N. Ravi Shanker; Senior Technical Director, Neeta Verma; Senior Director, Dr. Govind; and Director E-Infrastructure, Dr. S.K. Aggarwal were instrumental in this process.
The policy envisages to make the whole gamut of electronics from A.T.M.s to computers to refrigerators to televisions, etc. completely accessible for people with disabilities.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- Census 2011 and Disability – Mithu Alur’s publicity stunt enrages the disability sector
- Moment of reckoning - New Law versus Amendments
- West Zone too roots for a new law!
- No matter how many amendments we make, existing law cannot match U.N.C.R.P.D. expectations!
- “Neither me nor Justice Chapalgaonkar were involved in drafting the Mental Health Act Amendments,” Justice A.P. Shah
- Amendments to Right to Education Act tabled in Rajya Sabha
- South Zone unanimously supports ‘New Law’
- West Zone unanimous too, calls for a ‘New Law’!
- National Policy on Electronic Accessibility put up in the public domain
- Ministry of Information Technology makes it’s website accessible
- Urban Development Sub Group on access guidelines likely to miss deadline
- U.N.C.R.P.D. available in Marathi
- Disability sector opposes proposed amendments to Copyright Act, 1957
- Led by Brinda Karat, thousands protest at Parliament Street
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: