Volume 7 Issue 9 - May 01, 2010
South Zone unanimously supports ‘New Law’
Javed Abidi, Vandana Bedi and G. Syamala at the Consultation
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: More than 60 disability sector leaders from South India met at the zonal level Consultation in Chennai, and unanimously endorsed the concept of one comprehensive New Law based on U.N.C.R.P.D.
The two days consultation was held on April 16 and 17, and was organised by National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) in collaboration with Vidya Sagar. In his opening note, Javed Abidi, Honorary Director, N.C.P.E.D.P., expressed his disappointment on the callous attitude of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. He said that it has been several months now and the Ministry continuous to be tight lipped on the issue of new law versus amendments.
South Zone Consultation in progress
Addressing the delegates Abidi said, “Time has come now for disabled people to take their own decisions. We will not let lawyers or doctors or even parents to take decisions on our behalf.”
It was agreed that South Zone disability leaders will meet once a month to discuss the new law chapters that have been drafted by Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) and give their feedback. The chapters will also be translated into the regional languages of the South, so that even the grass root level workers can read them and give their feedback.
The National Consultation on ‘New Law versus Amendments’ was held in New Delhi in October last year. The North Zone Consultation in Delhi and East Zone Consultation in Guwahati were organized in January and February, earlier this year. This was the third such Zonal Consultation in the series.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- Census 2011 and Disability – Mithu Alur’s publicity stunt enrages the disability sector
- Moment of reckoning - New Law versus Amendments
- West Zone too roots for a new law!
- No matter how many amendments we make, existing law cannot match U.N.C.R.P.D. expectations!
- “Neither me nor Justice Chapalgaonkar were involved in drafting the Mental Health Act Amendments,” Justice A.P. Shah
- Amendments to Right to Education Act tabled in Rajya Sabha
- South Zone unanimously supports ‘New Law’
- West Zone unanimous too, calls for a ‘New Law’!
- National Policy on Electronic Accessibility put up in the public domain
- Ministry of Information Technology makes it’s website accessible
- Urban Development Sub Group on access guidelines likely to miss deadline
- U.N.C.R.P.D. available in Marathi
- Disability sector opposes proposed amendments to Copyright Act, 1957
- Led by Brinda Karat, thousands protest at Parliament Street
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: