Volume 9 Issue 9 - July 15, 2012
D.U. and J.N.U. get M.S.J.E. funds to make their campus disabled-friendlyD.N.I.S. News Network, India: Delhi University (D.U.) and Jawaharlal Nehru University (J.N.U.) have received Rs. 11.6 crore from the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.) for “developing disabled-friendly infrastructure”. Although, the funds were given 3 months back, work has yet to start.
Ramps, toilets for wheelchair-users, Braille signages, voice signals in elevators and tactile tiles are some of the facilities to be built or made available with the money allocated to the Universities. However, this development will be seen with much skepticism as in the past both these Universities have made tall claims about becoming ‘accessible’.
More often than not, unqualified people who claim to be ‘accessibility experts’ are given the task. National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) and AccessAbility have conducted access audits of D.U. in the past where it was found that signages, gradients of ramps, etc. were not as per international standards.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Winners of 3rd N.C.P.E.D.P. - MphasiS Universal Design Awards 2012 announced
- I.I.T. alleges certifying hospital not competent, Delhi High Court asks for proof
- Person with disability tops Maharashtra Public Service exam
- Presidential candidate makes derogatory remarks on disability
- Disability pension not for injuries off-duty, says Supreme Court
- Still no special educators in Delhi municipal schools
- U.N. comes out with report to strengthen treaty body system
- D.U. and J.N.U. get M.S.J.E. funds to make their campus disabled-friendly
- London Games to be the ‘most disabled-friendly’, claims U.K.
- Delhi courts to fast track pending cases involving disabled and elderly people
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: