Volume 9 Issue 12 - September 01, 2012
D.U. proposes exclusive accommodation for students with disabilities!D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Rather than making its entire campus and accommodation accessible, Delhi University (D.U.) is reportedly contemplating to set up exclusive accommodation for students with disabilities. This not only goes against the spirit of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (C.R.P.D.) but also defeats the purpose of mainstreaming disability.
This plan is part of a proposal to provide more facilities such as free transportation, subsidised housing and assistive devices to students with disabilities.
Despite several claims, D.U. is yet to become an accessible University both from physical and information technology point of view. Out of the more than 1500 seats reserved for students with disabilities, the 2012-13 session admitted a record 500 students! The remaining 1000 or more seats went vacant. Any guesses?
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- âIf we ignore youth with disabilities, can India achieve its demographic dividend?â: Meera Shenoy
- First Paralympic medallist wiped away from all official records
- 228 deaths in Asha Kiran since 2005
- N.C.P.E.D.P. to organise National Convention on Youth with Disabilities
- New law in the offing to prevent schools from discriminating against âweakâ students
- No blanket ban on students with upper limb impairment in medical course, High Court
- Deaf people to be able to text for help during emergency
- N.H.R.C. to organise National Conference on leprosy
- Wadhwani Foundationâs initiative to train & recruit 13,500 people with disabilities
- D.U. proposes exclusive accommodation for students with disabilities!
- Golf camp for people with disabilities
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: